This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 2:04

I have just spent the last 24 hours making up pots of soup to freeze.
I had been shopping yesterday morning and bought my vegies for the next fortnight then went to the doctors at lunch time and the medical centre (also our local aboriginal centre) were handing out bags of vegies to the patients. I came home with another 2 bags of vegies and a bag of fruit.
I had absolutely nowhere to store them uncooked as my fridge crispers were already packed full.

I only had one leek so made a small batch of soup. This mix made up 2 large dessert bowls of soup.

Potato and Leek soup:

1 leek, sliced,
2 onions, sliced
3 potatoes, cut small
garlic to taste.......... (I used about 1tbs of fresh minced garlic from the jar in the fridge - we love garlic)
500mls chicken stock
I also aded a dsp of vegetta stock and a sprinkling of pepper to the mix.

Place all in saucepan, bring to boil and simmer until vegies are well cooked.

Blend, and serve by stirring through 2 tbs cream to the blended mix, then place in bowls and sprinkle with chives, or preferred herbs to taste.

Pumpkin Soup

I prefer kent or jap pumpkin, the darker the flesh the sweeter the taste but any pumkin will do, even mixed types is ok in the same batch.

Cut up desired amount of pumpkin,
2 onions, cut up
2 small potatoes cut small
small amount of bacon chips
stick celery (I didn't have celery so substituted a stalk from a bok choy)
chicken stock to cover vegies, salt and pepper to taste, or instead of salt, add some vegetta, but can be salty if use too much

Place all in one pot and bring to boil, simmer till vegies fully cooked.

Blend and serve as desired. Freezes well.

Now I used up the remaining vegetables in the bags.
This vegetable soup can be made using any vegetable of choice.

Vegetable Soup

2 small potatoes, cut small
2 large onions, cut up
1 stalk celery (or add some bok choy if desired)
dsp bacon chips

now add any vegetables you have on hand. You can add a single vegetable or a combination. So long as you use the ones above as your base. The potato stops the vegies from separating after blending.
I added carrots, parsnip, bok choy, chinese cabbage, zucchini,
but can also add cauliflour, broccoli, turnip/suede, brussel sprouts, peeled squash, any vegies that you have on hand.

Cover with water and add any flavouring you desire, I generally add vegetta stock powder, but sometimes I also add worcestershire sauce.

Bring to boil and simmer till all coooked.

Blend and place in containers or bowls. Freezes well.

To serve I thaw, reheat and top with a sprinkle of chives and some grated cheese and stir gently to half melt the cheese through the soup...... Can use cream instead of cheese,

These are a great way to use up any excess or leftover vegies.

If you do not have leftover vegies, and wish to make up some vegie soup, grab a bag of frozen winter mix vegetables or any other vegie mix, and add to the base mix of potato, onion, etc. Not quite the tasteof using fresh vegies but still very nice and quick and easy to make.

Lyn
Reborn Artist - Lynk Nursery

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE
- NEW ITEMS BEING ADDED REGULARLY
http://lynkproducts.com.au
Back to top Go down
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 3:44

OOOHHH What time is dinner we will all be there...... dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 8:20

Nice recipes, Lyn. thankyou!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
babyblossom
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 20:06

Thanks for sharing Lyn. When I buy a new fridge/freezer (buyer's of our house bought our fridge/freezer as it was plumbed in - has water and ice dispenser) I'll be making some and freezing too. Nothing better than yummy soup with fresh bread and butter on a cold winter's night! wink
Back to top Go down
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 21:19

my younger son has one of those fridges too, but when he moved he unplumbed it and took it with him. He is a plumber/gas fitter by trade so said stuff leaving it in a rental. Next place was rental too, then his own house, fridge moved each time.

Lyn

Back to top Go down
EryMax
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 0:30

My favorite vegetable soup is a sami dish called Bidos which is a soup with potato,carrot,leek and reindeer meat. The soup are normally served on special days like after the christening or weddings. They also serve a special bread with the soup that's a little sweeter than the salty soup. The little bit of sweetness in the bread comes from the syrup that's been used.
Back to top Go down
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 0:40

sounds interesting Nina, guess the closest we would get here is venison, but few places sell it locally.

Lyn

Back to top Go down
EryMax
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 0:53

Because of the arctic climate and it's limited food resources the food that the reindeer eats really set a good taste to the meat. My grandma lives further north than me, and in the summertime the reindeers are walking in the streets of the town. They'll eat your plants for sure.
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 1:52

That's neat about the reindeer walking around in the street - I can't imagine eating a donner or dancer or prancer or vixen bigsmile Thank you for the soup recipe Lyn, I love soup in the winter.
Back to top Go down
debora jenkins
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 10:29

Lyn I love soup thank you for those recipes. I organic garden and one year I had this huge bumper crop[ of everything. I canned and canned. I got tired of all the different veggies being done in separate jars and such so I just started throwing everything in a pot and making soup and them canned that in jars. Oh my that was the best idea I ever came up with. It was so nice to open those jars and throw some left over meat from the fridge in the pot and put on our wood burning stove, we had at that time, and have a nice warm dish to eat out of and my house smelled good too. I miss that stove. I always kept chili or beans or soup on it. My house always smelled so good. It was hard to keep the dishes washed tho. Everyone knew I kept a pot on it and my door was never locked so my sons friends and father in law and lots of people stopped in whether I was home or not and had something warm. It also kept the air humidified.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes   

Back to top Go down

Vegetable Soups - Various Recipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1