This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

NewMember/Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
noodlehead

PostSubject: NewMember/Questions   Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:30

Hello all, my name is Natalie. Me and my daughter have been looking at these devine little darlings for quite some time. I've been watching videos and reading on a lot of web sites. I think it's time for us to take the plung and get our first kit. My first question, which I've seen on some other forums is what kit would y'all recommend for a beginner. I had been thinking about buying one from BountifulBaby however after looking into it further and reading many post about BB I read that a lot of people have been disappointed in the kits. The color is off and people are having to "fix" the doll before they can even begin doing anything with them. Has anyone here had this experience? I think the best thing I liked about the kit was that you'd be able to paint six more dolls with what you have left in the kit. Yes/no? I also came across a web site called DollsYourWay. They've got a lot a kits, and some are really cute. Sorry for all the questions at once.
Back to top Go down
Patti-Cake Nursery
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 22:25

It is normal to have a lot of questions! wink I have no experience with "Dolls your way" but I have personally never had a problem with Bountiful Babies vinyl.
It used to come in a terrible grayish color, but I find the color now is easy to work from.
I started from one of their beginners kits and would say it is probably a good way to go to get supplies gathered and get comfortable with the process, and then you can go from there.
And the paints provided will last for MANY dolls, especially the ones used only for detailing.
Hope this helps & Happy Reborning!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ebay.com/usr/sophiemarie2cute
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 2:26

I think Bountiful Baby is a reasonable place to start. I would recommend a closed eyed baby in the 18-20 inch range to start. I don't know if the "kit" is a good place to start. The mohair that comes with it is a real disappointment and I think you can probably just order the kit, the body, and then do paint from BB. You can buy brushes and weighting materials from Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Cosmetic sponges and other stuff can be purchased locally too.
Back to top Go down
threads
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 4:18

My advise would be to purchase a DVD from Lara, there are others that sell tlhem, you need to know
all about the little bits and peices never shown on YouTube.   Nothing wrong with the latest BB kits,
no point in spending a fortune on a kit  to start with.

I wish DVD's had been around when I started, I really do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thrads-for-tiny-tots.webs.com
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 22:53

Hi, welcome to REAL Natalie ! welcome Yes, BB is a perfect place to start with.Look around and if you need anything just give a shout! dancingbaby Kathy

Back to top Go down
jo_lil_sugars
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 8:43

Honestly I don't like BB kits at all.  Why not try a starter kit from Dolls by Sandie?  Sandie's Beginner's Kits also contain Lara's eBook class and has the colors Lara uses.  She is a wonderful person and I always love her kits. Sandie keeps up with Lara's colors that she uses in her tutorials.  Here is the link, you have several dolls to choose from too with the starter kit.
http://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9822
Back to top Go down
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 12:56

jo_lil_sugars wrote:
Honestly I don't like BB kits at all.  Why not try a starter kit from Dolls by Sandie?  Sandie's Beginner's Kits also contain Lara's eBook class and has the colors Lara uses.  She is a wonderful person and I always love her kits. Sandie keeps up with Lara's colors that she uses in her tutorials.  Here is the link, you have several dolls to choose from too with the starter kit.
I didn't even know that Sandie had the kit "set-up". That seems like a really good deal to me.
Back to top Go down
jo_lil_sugars
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:08

pia46 wrote:
jo_lil_sugars wrote:
I didn't even know that Sandie had the kit "set-up". That seems like a really good deal to me.

Yes and the supplies are better quality, you get the better brushes and porcelian pallet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NewMember/Questions   

Back to top Go down

NewMember/Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1